• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills & probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kathybaize

I have an interesting problem. My husband and his brother (twins)are co-executors on their father's will. My husband proceeded his father in death, the will states in that case, the spouse takes his part. Does that mean I should take part in all of the decisions in the estate in my husband's behalf? Don't I have the right to a copy of the will, and to request a copy of all final bills? So far I have been left in the dark. Please advise me.
Thank you,
[email protected]:confused:

A

advisor10

SEPT. 24, 2001 (Monday)

DEAR KATHY:

I'm not familiar with Texas law, but if you think you may be named as a beneficiary in your father-in-law's estate, you may be eligible to request a copy of the will. Go down to the county courthouse to see if the will has been filed yet (if it has, it is public record that anyone can see, and you can get a copy of it).

You really do need to take the will to a local attorney to have him/her interpret the language for you, since it seems to be somewhat vague. Whose will is it that states the spouse takes his part--is it your husband's will or the father-in-law's will? The word "part" is somewhat ambiguous and could mean more than one thing: (1) it may mean his "share" of the estate, or (2) it could mean someone would have to replace your husband as executor.

Only the executors have the official right to see all bills, since the executor will be paying them, but don't be too insistent on seeing these--they will be included (or should be included) in the probate file when the estate is closed, and you could then look at the probate file after it is closed to see what those bills were.

SINCERELY,

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">