• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Doublep2000

If my inlaws gave a down payment for a condo purchase as a wedding gift, does that make the property more his than mine?
California

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Doublep2000 said:
If my inlaws gave a down payment for a condo purchase as a wedding gift, does that make the property more his than mine?
California
My response:

Let's assume, for just a moment, that your husband is correct. What would be the percentage ? 60-40, 68-32, 75-25, 90-10 ? Who would make that decision ? And, upon what basis in law would that decision be made ?

The decision cannot be made by the parents AFTER the gift was made because the money, once given, was no longer theirs to make any decisions after the fact. Any stipulations concerning the money would have needed to be made by the inlaws PRIOR to the gift giving, and it would have needed to be accepted by you and your husband on those terms.

Sorry to say, but in California, and as a Community Property State, a "gift to the marriage" is just that, it's a gift to both parties in equal shares, and not just one person to the marriage - - unless, of course, the donors (the inlaws), made a written stipulation concerning percentages to each of you. But, if the gift came with "no strings attached", then it becomes an asset of the marriage, and is owned in equal shares by the two of you.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">