• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills vs trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coupe_87

I.m from Chicago, IL. I,m the beneficiary of a Will, and just found out that there is a family trust set up. And the trustee will not relinquish a copy of the trust agreement. How can I obtain or where can I obtain a copy of the trust agreement? And the county has no file of this trust agreement. What can be done? And is the trustte responsible for real estate tax payment etc......

Last edited:

dmode101

Is the trust a testamentary trust -- e.g. contained within the will itself? If so, then the it should be filed with the court in the county where the decedent resided, and you can get a copy upon request. If it is a separate 'living trust', then you are not necessarily entitled to a copy, but (unless the trust terms say otherwise) you are entitled to an annual accounting of the trust. If the trustee says you are not entitled to this, you might ask to the trust provisions saying that you are not entitled to an accounting. Clearly there may be other issues here, without knowing the situation it is impossible to tell. You might benefit from representation here, as the trustee is likely represented by counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">