• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

After Probate Period Ends

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cayenne~Carol

My mother passed away 8/2000, I qualified as administrator 9/9/2000 and the probate period for Virginia is one year. Unfortunately, my mother left quite a bit of debt and the only asset is the home in which she lived. Will I have to sell her home in order to satisfy her debt (credit cards) or are there other options I am unaware of. What happens if I do try to sell and no one buys? I currently live in the home.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ALawyer

You really ought to get some help from a local probate lawyer. In some states if the creditors have not filed claims they may be barred. In others there are more specific notice requirements and longer time frames. There may be liens on the property too.

If you have to put it up for sale, someone will likely buy -- you may not like the price however. ANd very often there are strict rules for how you put it on sale and in some places court approval is needed before any sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">