• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pension plan modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Elaine Wheaton

I was divorced in 1988 and was awarded 50% of my ex-husband's pension plan. He secretly started collecting his pension early which greatly reduced the disbursement amount. Two years after he started collecting the full pension amount of $156 per month, I found out about it and contacted my lawyer. She researched it and found it to be true and, consequently, I lost out on 2 years of the pension money. She told me that I could sue him for it, but I knew I'd never get it since he "drank" his money away. Well, NOW, he is filing for a modification because I have a good job and have remarried. He says he wants to be reimbursed the pension money that I rec'd since I remarried, 10 years ago, and that he now wants the entire amount disbursed to him ONLY.

I have rec'd a Domestic Relations Summons and have been ordered to send in my financial status. I can't see that this is legal and I do not feel that my current status should be anyone's business. He claims he has been homeless for 2 years, which is false, he had been in an REHAB program for more than 2 years. He claims that because I make more money than him that I shouldn't be entitled to the pension. I put up with 23 years of alcoholism with him and $78 per month is a small price to pay for that. Why should he be allowed to file for a modification?

Please answer me ASAP since I have to have the papers sent to MASSACHUSETTS FAMILY COURT IN A WEEK. I live in SC and the papers were filed in MA where my ex lives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">