• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reinstating custody and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ljt414

I divorced my husband in July 1997 in North Carolina. We ended up living together about 3 months after the divorce and brought another child into the relationship and even talked marriage again. In recent months, due to same problems we had prior to the divorce, we are separating again. In the previous settlement, I had full custody and was recieving child support. What can my strategy be now that we were not married and he demand full custody of the kids, even though i have them 95% of the time because he works alot. I work 3rd shift so its no problem for me to keep them. But he needs me more now just as much as when we lived together. What should i do?

S

scumcoast

Your divorce is the same as when it was first final. As for the child it sounds like you had with him while not married is another matter all together. For that child you have the issue of paternity since you were not married and hopefully he is on the birth cert. As far as custody if he is on the birth cert. either party has as much right as the other therefore you better work out some kind of agreement. If he wants custody of the children born of the marriage he would have to file under the divorce case to change custody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">