• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

change of domacile....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mpkmandbs

My divorce is final, I am recently newley married and I would like to move out of state. It is a law in Michigan now, you have to put in a change of domacile to move over 100 miles. I am a home maker and I can't find a good job here in Michigan but I have 2 good jobs waiting in the other state for me. The move would be better for my children and I but my ex is protesting the move. What do I do???

T

Toniree

Put on the best case you can for the court. At worst, you might be responsible for the transportation costs for your ex to see his kids.

D

dorenephilpot

Actually, the worst case scenario is that you lose custody.

But in order for this to happen, you would have to seriously tick off the court, like moving and THEN trying to get "permission."

The adage that it's easier to seek forgiveness later than permission beforehand doesn't hold true with a lot of judges.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">