• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

How long should one expect to wait for insurance funds after filing a beneficiaries claim? Is there a specific time limit in which the life insurance company must do this? Thanks for any advice/answers.

ALawyer

IF the policy was an individual policy which was in force for over 2 years most companies pay it within 30 days from the time they receive the claim form with the death certificate.

If the policy was less than 2 years old (in which case materially false statements on the application could enable the company to void the policy), or there was an accident or strange circumstances involved (for example if the beneficiary might have been a murderer) then the company takes MUCH longer to investigate.

Many companies provide interest from date of death, or from a set point after filing also.

life ins.

Thanks Alawyer for your answer regarding the life insurance--My son's father (my X) passed away last month and I'm trying to help him (he's 25) handle things and answer any of his questions--some I can answer, others I haven't a clue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">