• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emancipation of Minor; fostering question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

coremail

UTAH - I am the mother of a 16-(almost 17-)year old who has had numerous minor infractions with the law, and is now facing a felony charge. He is an 'ungovernable', and feels he can do what he wants, when he wants. I have documented evidence of his drug use, illegal tobacco and alcohol use, and he has been to counceling, in a 'social detox' program, met with a psychotherapist, tried herbal remedies, nicoret, etc., etc., etc. How old does he have to be before I can give him the 'heave-ho' without any repercussions? If he is out on his own, even against my will, and he committs a crime, how liable am I? What measures can I take to protect myself? He has also broken into my home on several occassions by damaging windows, and has stolen my property to pawn for his drug money. If I decide to take action that will release me as his custodial guardian, what are the ramifications of foster care? Immancipation? State ward?:confused:

K

Kelly143

He won't be considered "on his own" until he is 18 years old. Where is his father? Could he help you out with your son? If he is that bad, I would pray that he was convicted of that felony charge you mentioned. Maybe some jail time would straighten him up!

C

coremail

Thanks, Kelly143

I guess I should have included some info! He was already told the last time he was in court, that the next time he would do at least 10 days DT time. His father (ex) lives in Brasil, and is willing to help out, but neither of us is sure that sending him to a foreign country is the answer, or rather, we know there would be positive and negative possibilities. He has a VERY hard time staying in school, and is currently enrolled in an alternative program which is more like Kindergarten than HS. I think going to a private American school in Brazil would be really tough. Which could either be good or bad. The native girls would "swarm" him, which could be very bad on a hormone-driven teen. And I have no idea the availability of drugs, alcohol, etc. in the community, as well as the laws and 'customs' being different or more lenient toward that type of activity in teens. What do you think?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">