• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination at school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rmly35

Hi, I have 2 problems with the middle school my child attends in Missouri.
The first situation happened the day the terrible tragedy happened to our country.
As my daughter13 years old, and classmates walked into her classroom they were all wanting to know what had happened. The teacher said this: Two Palestinians highjacked the airplanes . We are in world war III and I wouldn't doubt if we used nucleor weapons on the Palestinians. As were many students, my daughter raised her hand and said wait a minute, I am Palestinian, My moms father is Palestinian, my grandpa. She told him that we have family there and how do you know that it was a palestinians, it just happened? The teacher said well, they won't come after you.

I contacted the teacher and let him know that I did not appreciate this. I also tried to contact the principle but only the assistant principle had time for me. She told me that they would talk to the teacher. thats all they were going to do. I asked them to get back to me after they talked to him and they never did.
Needless to say my daughter was extremely upset first because of the tragedy and then the teachers remarks. Is there something I can do about this? Please help!

The next situation happened a week later. I recieved a letter that saying that my daughter has an opportunity to participate in a new voluntary program. IT is a truancy court in the school that wants parents and the kids that had a lot of absences to attend. I contacted the school to ask why my daughter was chosen. They told me that she had 17 days that she was absent last year and there new policy is that There are no excused absences unless there is a doctors note, period. Even though it is on record that I called the school and sent a note every time. Also this new policy did not start till this year. I am not one of those parents that thinks that there child never does any wrong. IN THIS CASE THERE WAS NOT ANY WRONG DOING. If being sick and having allergy problems is considered truancy than I dissagree!
I attented the meeting about the truancy court but not willingly. This is what has me upset. AT the meeting there was a DJO who stated that "I can take your child from your home" IF YOU DO NOT PARTICIPATE, AND IT WILL COME OUT OF YOUR CHECK". There was other parents in the room also who could not understand how that could be done. I could understand if the child has skipped school or anything along those lines but this is outrageous! My daughter has very good grades, gets along well with everyone and has never been in any trouble of any kind at school. Are they able to take my child from me for this only reason? It does not make any sense. PLEASE HELP !

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">