• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Heirs rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mkssale

my father-in-law, but he was told he was dying in Feb, he registered his cars so that they would belong to him or his wife & made his wife and one of his daughters joint tenants of his property. He had a will, he left 5K to one daughter & a bass boat to her husband, another 5K to another daughter & 5K to me. He has 2 other kids who he omitted from his will and mentioned them by name. Now he's gone, they feel they are intitled to a fifth of the property and are going to contest whatever they can. What can my mother-in-law do to protect herself from having to sell the property?

ALawyer

She should contact a lawyer who ios familiar with wills and probate, have the lawyer review the Will and if it seems sound (and I have no idea if it is or not), get the Will filed for probate, and send all the heirs at law notice.

The heirs will have a chance to object, and if the 2 cut off kids do, the lawyer will tell the kids they have no basis for objecting and he would seek to have them bear his legal fees as their objection lacks merit. All that has to be done to get the will filed is have the witnesses testify the deceased was mentally comptenet and asked them to witness his will and that's the will. The burden then typically shifts to the folks objecting to prove it was not good. ANd that's VERY hard to do assuming the document is in proper form and the formalities were complied with.

This is NOT something your family should try on a Do It Yourself basis.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">