• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Property Non-married couple

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TerriB

My ex-boyfriend and I lived together in a house that we purchsed together four years ago in No. Minnesota. Both of our names are on the mortgage loan and the deed. We have a child together but are not married. My ex moved out in July, he took all of the property we had accumulated together over the past four years (lawn mowers, four wheeler, boat, tools, hoses, camping gear, fishing gear etc.) He also took all of our daughers clothing, blankets, towels, toiletries & the groceries frozen & dry goods. In addition he also took my personally owned and purchsed items that I had before we met and/or was given as gifts that he KNOWS are not his such as my jewlery (rings), golf clubs, pendelton blankets, my X-mas ornaments & decorations (many years worth), my winter coats and snow boots and my bras & panties and more..... these are just the basics I'd like back...When we went to court re: custody of our child the judge said that MN law did not get involved with division of personal property. I can't my belongings back. The sheriff's dept. says that he says they are his. The Insurance co. won't let me claim them stolen as he says they are not (both names on the policy). What is my recourse here? Can I get my belongings? What if he says he dosent' have them after already admitting he did? or if he hides them?

Also, with both of our names on the deed & loan. Do we HAVE to sell the house and who will help us split up that equitably? will the MN court help me with that? I sold a house and used $10,000 of my own money for the down payment.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">