• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult stepkids, college, insurance, etc. in VA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

carolc

I'll try to be brief. We've got two pretty bad situations and need some advice.

First some background: My skids are 20 and 18. The 20 year old is in college and lives with her mother and stepfather. The 18 year old moved in with me and his father about 6 weeks ago. He is going to firefighter school. Both work.

Child support ended when 18 yr old graduated HS.

In the divorce decree from 1989, it states that husband must pay 1/2 of college expenses including tuition, fees, books, room & board. No problem with that, except the biomom took us to court this summer because we were not paying her the money she requested from us for daughters room and board to live at her and stepfathers house. The judge dismissed the case. Said she can't charge him for that - that it appears to mean room and board for her living at school.

Anyway, they turn around and start charging stepdaughter to live at home - 1/3 of the household expenses. The bill came to well over $600, but compromised at $450. (Husbands 1/2 would be $225.) We were not happy with this AT ALL. Husband contacted our lawyer and he said that eventually they will find some sort of loophole and he'll have to pay for him to go ahead and give her something. So, we gave her $200 this month with a letter stating she would get that amount each month as long as she was a full time student. Neither one of us are happy about being billed for rent for stepdaughter.

Then out of the blue the biomom calls and says that stepfather is dropping both children off of his health insurance and that we had to pick them up. (Husband is responsible for insurance "as long as they are eligible." We were reimbursing them for the insurance) My insurance co says it's not that easy. He just can't drop them. They want proof why they were dropped and a HIPAA Certificate. We sent a letter to biomom telling her what we were told and requested the info. We have gotten nothing in response. So now the kids are walking around with no insurance.

Now the part about husband is to pay "1/2 of all medical expenses not covered by insurance." What if something happens to one of those kids and they wind up in the hospital. Who's paying?

Sorry I took up so much space. I hope someone can help us out with some answers/suggestions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">