• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pre-Marriage agreement needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hedy

from california

My Fiance has bought a home and escrow will close in 2 weeks. Because of my credit, I could not qualify with him for a mortage loan. Therefore, loan and title are under his name. We plan to marry this December. He has 3 adult children. They will not live with us. I have 1 teenage child. He will live with us. I work and agreed with him that I will contribute my salary to the household finances. But, since I cannot be on the mortage loan, he will not be able to put me on the title/deed, even after we are married.
I am concern that if something were to happen to him (death), the bank or his children will have me out of the home.
What paper(s) should be done/filed to protect myself before hand? Thank you for your reply.

4theloveofdrew

Hi--I had a similar situation except in reverse. What we did when we bought our home was file a Quit Claim Deed our real estate lady did all the work for it and it came in the mail. It would have given my husband legal rights to our home in the event of my death. We had that and when his credit cleared we did a re-fi and had his name added to the loan. You really want to make sure you have something because if any thing happens to him his kids may want you gone. Death brings out the worst in people. Good luck---and you should check back with different lenders---right now some of them are not so picky considering the state of our economy---I live in MI so the laws here may be different for you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">