• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Taxes - irrevcable trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

caroltim

Question - live in virginia.
My father-in-law passed away and left an estate of $800,000.
During my father-in-law's lifetime he made an irrevocable trust in the amount of $200,000 (that is from the 800,000). He did this for my brother-in-law who has not held a job and wanted this trust to disperse monies each month so he would have food and a place to live. My husband is now in process of paying estate taxes - we need to know if this $200,000 trust would be added to estate or not. The $200,000 is in the $800,000 amount? Thank you in advance for any assistance you may give.

dmode101

An irrevocable trust when created is generally a taxable gift. Was a gift tax return filed? The estate tax issue is complex and depends on the terms of the trust -- you should see a trusts and estates attorney in VA. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">