• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contested emancipation of a minor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cmdrbean

WASHINGTON - I am 18 years old, and my girlfriend is 16. She has had problems with her mother (whom she lives with here) since she moved up here. She is originally from California, and the rest of her family lives back there. She recently told her mother that she's moving out, and now she wants to get emancipated and live with me at my grandparent's house. Her mother has basically told her to get out, however, both of her parents will probably object to her being emancipated (her mother is likely bluffing), especially if she's to live with me. She doesn't have a job, but is going to withdraw from school and start working ASAP. I've been told that you have to have good grades, and also be able to support yourself financially to get emancipated, but I have a friend who was 17 with no job and horrible grades who did so in a matter of days. *shrug* Does it matter if I'm capable of taking care of her financially? Does it make any difference that we'll be living with my grandparents for the time being? Can anyone give me info on the best way to get her out of the bad situation she's in at her mother's house, without putting her in a potentially worse situation back in california? *Any* help would be appreciated, we want to get moving on this ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
Symon

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">