• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce you parent??Is it possible

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ashley829

NY.
As an adult, do I have any legal right to be "divorced" from my drunken mother? Can I disown her? How do I get her out of my life FOREVER?

JETX

As an adult, you don't have to 'divorce' your parents. You can move away without giving them your contact information, or just tell them to go away. Either option is your legal right.

However, don't forget that at some time in the future, when you might really need them, they can remember your actions today.

Ashley829

Halket

Thanks for the reply, I have tried to get away from my mother. Its not as easy as it may seem.
I hardly doubt that I will ever "need" her, In her own words and this is after 5 years of my hubby and myself paying her mortgage, taking care of my dying father, running her to the MD every day, rehab...the list goes on. "she will leave and myself and my family will never see her again" "I dont care about anyone but myself"and ofcourse her bottle of rum!
Thank you again fro the reply.
Diane

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">