• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cindy6920

i am from north carolina. i have had full custody of my 12 year old daughter since she was 18 months old. now her father has filed a motion for change of custody. he wants joint with him being primary custodial parent. he has told her things about me that are not true and she is confused and don't understand. she is upset now with him doing this. there is a 7 year old sister that is involved also that is going to get hurt in this situation. please tell me what my rights are...i need help in this...i just don't understand. please anyone let me know what i can do that will not hurt my daughter no more than she already has been hurt int he situation with her father.

thanks

Last edited:

D

deefran

I wouldn't worry too much about what your ex is doing as the courts do not change custody unless the father can prove you unfit. Meaning he would have to prove abuse or endangerment to your children's welfare. Courts do not like to disrupt a child's life by removing them from the only home they've known. I'm not saying do not take him seriously, hiring a lawyer is always the best bet, but your ex is going to have a difficult case. He has to show why this move is in the child's best interest, and if your daughter is upset at the prospect of leaving then he doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">