• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caregiver's recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zigant

Hello. I live in Wisconsin and my question somewhat overlaps the property section of the forum. I have been my grandmother's caregiver for 2 1/2 years now. I live with her and she signed her home over to me as a Life Estate Trust when I first began taking care of her. Unfortunately, because this is my grandmother, we never had any legal contract in terms of the cost of my caregiving services, etc. I have recently run into troubles with people in my family turning greedy and wanting to take the home back and find a new caregiver. My question is two-fold. 1. Can the house be "taken back"? I signed to accept it when it was transferred, do I need to agree to give it back? 2. If my grandmother is able to take the home away do I have legal recourse to be paid for my time as her caregiver for the last 2 1/2 years? I had never charged her before because I thought the house was my compensation but if she takes the home back from me, what can I do? I appreciate your help. thanks! Teri.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">