• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

liaability when durable power of attorney is revoked without notification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pjorlandi

In California. My wife obtained a durable power of attorney in order to manage the financial affairs of her mother who is 83 and suffering from dementia. For the 1st 9 months of 2001 she was her mother's sole and only full time caregiver, paying her household bills and making investment decisions (mostly letting CD's be renewed) under the impression that her power of attorney was valid. Today (10/08/2001) we were notified in writing ( the FIRST notification of any kind, oral or written) that the power of attorney was revoked by her brother in May 2001. As of today (10/08/01) her brother has taken Mom in with him at his household. Since my wife was performing her function in good faith, (with no respite or restitution) is she subject to any form of liability or criminal charge? No checks were "bounced"; all creditors are current. All checks were signed with the mother's name followed by the daughter's name and the words "attorney in fact". Also how does she absolve herself from any liability or resposibility for her mother's financial and other affiars from this point (10/08/2001) forward? Sorry about the length, just wanted to be sure I got the right stuff in.
:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">