• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the host responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Code Blue

I heard somewhere that if a "guest" of your household leaves your house "impaired", and this person gets in an accident, you can be held responsible. Is this true?

If so, how does this apply to a large scale party where you may not know when people are coming or going?

How do you protect yourself from this?

Thanks in advance for your replies! :)

HomeGuru

Yes it is true under shared and contingent liability.
Prevention is easy.
Don't have parties where alchohol is served or limit the amount of guests and make sure all guests have designated drivers.

JETX

Another option....
Only give 2 drink tickets to each person when they pay at the door (only one ticket to 'small' people. I get three!!).

HomeGuru

Halket said:
Another option....
Only give 2 drink tickets to each person when they pay at the door (only one ticket to 'small' people. I get three!!).
My response: Halket, you can drink 3 glasses of Kool Aid?

Q

qadaq

perhaps only invite guests you can trust not to sue you for their own idiocy. I wonder if you could have them sign a waiver. Anyone?

JETX

HomeGuru said:

My response: Halket, you can drink 3 glasses of Kool Aid?
What flavor??? I just love it when that big sweaty picture of ice-cold Kool Aid crashes through that wall!!!

Or maybe you're talking about we TEXANS used to call "Colorado Kool-Aid" (aka Coors).

M

Minx

Posting a notice

At certain parties I have seen signs posted that state "The owner is not responsible for any actions, accidents, and behaviors of the guests. Enter at your own risk". Does something like this cover the responsibility of the party giver?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">