• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor marriage + divorcing parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

screwykangaroo

i am 17 years old, which in the state of Texas is of legal age to marry with the consent of a parent. My boyfriend is 21, and we wish to get married, however, my parents do not approve. Also in the state of Texas, there is such a thing as common law marriage. if the two parties reside together for 45 days, they both receive mail... i don't know all the stipulations of it, but both of those apply. i was just curious if at 17, i am eligible for common law marriage, because i know once i am married, i can divorce my parents. if anyone knows, please help soon!

D

deefran

There is no such thing as "divorcing" your parents. Common law marriages are only recognized if the man and woman reside together for a number of YEARS not weeks. It varies from state to state, in most states I believe it is between 5 and 10 years. If you move in with your boyfriend without your parents consent he can be charged with kidnapping. Looks like you're gonna have to wait until your parents say yes, or you turn 18.

L

Lampeter

I think you want to become "emancipated" which would require you to prove to the courts that you are capable of supporting yourself among other things. I don't know the whole process, but at 17 you don't have long until your 18th birthday.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">