• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father/daughter Married--is It Legal???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

T333

My biological sister and I were legally adopted by mother's husband over 20 years ago. She was 12 years old at the time. 1 year after my mother's death,(with the same husband/father at her side) My sister and the adoptive parent decided to get married. This was done in Las Vegas NV in 1998. Their legal situation as Father/Daughter was not
disclosed prior, during, or after the ceremony. I have a copy of
the marriage certificate. IS THIS LEGAL??? They are now residing in
a different state- is it legal there???

This is only the beginning of the problem....as unimaginable as it is.

If it is not legal, is the marriage considered "void". If it is void would she have any rights to any assets?? There are considerable assets to be taken into account.

Thanx so much for any info. Who would I contact to find out in Nevada if this is legal??? Thanx again

D

deefran

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I just wanted to reply that this just skeeves me out. I hope it's not legal.

T

T333

Deefran- Thanx for your response

Thanks for responding anyway. It helps when someone cares enough to respond. It's pretty much unfathomable. It came completely out of left field for me.... It was something you never ever thought that person was capable of. Can't tell you what I went through......I'm pulling out of it real good now though. Thanks again.

T

Toniree

I'm not sure about your state, but Woody Allen did the same thing. They are not only married now, but also have a child.

K

Kelly143

EWWW!! Marrying someone who raised you for 20 years! What were they thinking???

D

deefran

The thing with Woody Allen though is that legally his now ex-wife adopted Soon-Yi, not him, so she was not his legal daughter at the time of their marriage. Although it was still gross. If your adopted father and sister kept the nature of their "true" relationship a secret (ie he was her father), it may be considered fraud and the marriage may not be legal. Definitely consult with a lawyer and explore this thoroughly. And if you can let me know cause this has piqued my curiosity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">