• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can my boyfriends ex-wife attach my checking account?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bl00dsuckr114

checking account is in my name, we live in ct and she lives in fl, he has marital debt and she tends to think that she can attach my checking account to get the money owed her. can she?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bl00dsuckr114 said:
checking account is in my name, we live in ct and she lives in fl, he has marital debt and she tends to think that she can attach my checking account to get the money owed her. can she?
My response:

She can "tend" to think all she wants. All because you are the "girlfriend" of someone she used to be married to, doesn't give her any rights to your money. That makes about as much sense as her having rights to my checking account.

You're still a "third party" that isn't responsible for his debts, nor are you responsible in any fashion for her debts, simply because you and he are dating.

Let her try, and watch her make a fool out of herself.

IAAL

jeanine

What happens if she marries the poor *******? Does first wifey get any digs in then - if account is in new wife's name?

K

Kelly143

No. The first wife would still not have any rights to any money in the account that is in the new wife's name alone. If the accont was put in both husbands and new wifes name, THEN she could attach to the account, but only if she gets a judgement first. She can't just say "he owes me money" and pull it from the account. On top of that, she would have to transfer (can't think of the legalese word!) the judgement to CT from FL to enforce it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">