• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mistakes on parking violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

just a student

To preface my comments, I have paid this violation. I am just curious if there was anything that I could have done about it.

At another university's campus, I parked in an area near some construction. While I was sure this wouldn't be a valid spot in the day, I figured they wouldn't bother ticketing at night. Well I was wrong and I got a ticket for "Parking in Area Not Marked for Parking." I completely understand this ticket and that is why I paid.

However, my concern has to do with the mistakes on the citation. It listed my car as grey while in fact my car is red. Also, the time listed on the citation was 10:20 am when in fact I was parked there in the early evening. Also the date of the citation was not for the date I parked and got ticketed but rather for the day after.

My friends recommended I didn't pay b/c of all these mistakes. Of course when I considered wheter to appeal, I realized there would be no reason that I would have physically have the ticket unless I had illegally parked. Besides illegally parking, was there anything that I could have done differently?

I am also form out-of-state and not a student at this university so I was told that I should not have bothered paying because that university would not have the ability to pursue this ticket. Is this true?

Thanks

Quote from one of my friends giving advice:

HomeGuru

You could have contested the ticket especially if it was issued from the university as a private citation.

B

blazon3

I think you probably could have contested the ticket. I do not know about university parking violations, but I once received a parking ticket in Boston that was dated for the following day (the other info was correct). I went down the parking clerk's office and the ticket was dismissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">