• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Amazon.com and Playstation 2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AntiDrew

I don't know if this is the right forum to post this question, but here's where I'll start.

I don't know how many of you follow electronics, but the Sony Playstation 2 came out on Oct 26. There was a mad rush to get it and the product sold out in the entire US by mid-day. Amazon.com posted whatever available stock they received at 12:00pm on the 26th and took off the posting in about 30 seconds after they also sold out.

My account info for this product says it will ship in 1 to 2 weeks and I also have an email from the General Manager at Amazon saying that I will definately have a PS2 in 1 to 2 weeks. There are more problems with than I care to mention at the moment.

My question is, Amazon.com is now jerking me around and saying I will not receive a Playstation 2 (PS2) from their current sold out inventory and am pre-ordered for a future PS2 which will come at an undetermined time.

Obviously there are others that purchased the PS2 from Amazon that are now in the same plight. Is this grounds for a class action lawsuit using Buy.com's settlement for misprinting information as precedence (link attached)?
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-3191999.html

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

This is not Amazon's fault, or anyone else's. Sony's manufacturing of PS2 fell short of it's 2 million projected units, down to about 1 million units for the projected release date. That, coupled with the fact that Sony had over 600,000 units pre-ordered from months ago, left only about 400,000 units available for the retail shelves.

Sony has stated that they will have their manufacturing quotas up, and orders filled, by February 2001.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntiDrew:
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this question, but here's where I'll start.

I don't know how many of you follow electronics, but the Sony Playstation 2 came out on Oct 26. There was a mad rush to get it and the product sold out in the entire US by mid-day. Amazon.com posted whatever available stock they received at 12:00pm on the 26th and took off the posting in about 30 seconds after they also sold out.

My account info for this product says it will ship in 1 to 2 weeks and I also have an email from the General Manager at Amazon saying that I will definately have a PS2 in 1 to 2 weeks. There are more problems with than I care to mention at the moment.

My question is, Amazon.com is now jerking me around and saying I will not receive a Playstation 2 (PS2) from their current sold out inventory and am pre-ordered for a future PS2 which will come at an undetermined time.

Obviously there are others that purchased the PS2 from Amazon that are now in the same plight. Is this grounds for a class action lawsuit using Buy.com's settlement for misprinting information as precedence (link attached)?
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-3191999.html

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, because there is a shortage of inventory of approximately half a million umits or more that was supposed to come from Japan. Thus this is problem is due to a third party distributor problem.
You can sue all you want, you still will not get a unit until next year. Unless you want the all Japanese version.
Latest News: My sources say that one or more PS2 will be listed on a major auction site, with strating bids of $500. They feel they can get up to $2500 for a single unit. Ripoff or not, that may be the jungle law of supply and demand. I wonder if I can trade 2 Barbies, 5 cabbage patch dolls, a huge Pog collection, a folder of Pokemon cards and an original Razor scooter for a PS2? And is my law degree worth anything?

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 28, 2000).]

A

AntiDrew

It's still a third party problem if Amazon said they would only sell the limited supply that they had in stock from Sony(they don't do any pre-orders)? That and also the email that the General Manager sent guarenteeing everyone that placed an order would receive a PS2 in one to two weeks is making this a little frustating.

One last thing. My friend, who also ordered from Amazon, has already received his item shipped email and he ordered his PS2 after I did (he was sitting next to me).

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AntiDrew:
It's still a third party problem if Amazon said they would only sell the limited supply that they had in stock from Sony(they don't do any pre-orders)? That and also the email that the General Manager sent guarenteeing everyone that placed an order would receive a PS2 in one to two weeks is making this a little frustating.

One last thing. My friend, who also ordered from Amazon, has already received his item shipped email and he ordered his PS2 after I did (he was sitting next to me).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe your friend will let you play his PS2.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">