• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal Loan goes bad vs my stepdad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevin9877

I borrowed around $20k from my stepdad and verbally agreed to pay him back $250 a month interest free. Also, I was to give him 1/2 of my income tax money which last february I didn't quite give him half. My refund was $700, I gave him 250. Last summer I fell behind but in the last 2 months I have gotten him paid up to date. Now he tells me I never made a payment in sept 99, and he wants me to start paying him interest on what he would get for his money in an investment. I am probably going to have to consult an atorney, but can he do this.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kevin9877:
I borrowed around $20k from my stepdad and verbally agreed to pay him back $250 a month interest free. Also, I was to give him 1/2 of my income tax money which last february I didn't quite give him half. My refund was $700, I gave him 250. Last summer I fell behind but in the last 2 months I have gotten him paid up to date. Now he tells me I never made a payment in sept 99, and he wants me to start paying him interest on what he would get for his money in an investment. I am probably going to have to consult an atorney, but can he do this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Boy!! A "verbal" contract for $20,000.00 !! That's not only incredible, it's incredibly stupid. But, as long as you're making your payments, then you've got the upper hand. I won't tell you what your "upper hand" is, however. Why? Because he was nice enough to lend you the money and I don't want you to think you can screw him.

However, I will tell you this: He can't get interest from you on the verbal agreement. All such conditions are required to be in writing to be enforceable.

So, just tell him that you're sticking to the original bargain, that he can't change terms and conditions in the middle of a contract, and that he can't get interest unless there's a writing.

Tell him he can see all the attorneys he wants, but it won't change anything.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">