• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

limited partnerships

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heidiho

I am a roofing contractor who went into a limited partnership with a general contractor.I have withdrawn from the partnership and need to know if I am in anyway responsible for contracts that he signed under his licsence number while we were partners. I have found out that he is going to be backcharged for some improperly done work and need to know if this can come back to me.He also has a couple of jobs going that he says I am resonible to finish with him even though I have my own jobs going under my own licsense number

------------------
Mark

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

What did your attorney say to you when you had him/her review your written partnership agreement?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

H

heidiho

We never had a written agreement on anything.
What we did was register with the secratary of state under a limited partnership combining the two seperate companys into a partnership.

------------------
Mark

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidiho:
We never had a written agreement on anything.
What we did was register with the secratary of state under a limited partnership combining the two seperate companys into a partnership.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Well, then, you're in for the "trouble of your life". You better seek out legal advice with your own attorney because this so-called partner of yours is trying to take advantage of you.

NEVER, NEVER, enter into any kind of business relationship without a written contract.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

H

heidiho

Without a written agreement stateing that we're responsible to help one another out, would'nt it be hard for him to have anything to stand behind to have me help him....after all we both have jobs going and I'm willing to accept the responsibility for mine. Should'nt he do the same?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by heidiho:
Without a written agreement stateing that we're responsible to help one another out, would'nt it be hard for him to have anything to stand behind to have me help him....after all we both have jobs going and I'm willing to accept the responsibility for mine. Should'nt he do the same?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He should but would he? Absent a written agreement spelling out the terms and conditions, liabiltiies etc. of the partnership, it will be your word against his. It may turn out to be a long drawn out "lies and more lies" scenario.

In accordance with contractors licensing laws, if his contracts were all signed under solely his contractors license number then he would be liable with respect to any regulatory action. He may still leave you hanging from a shingle without a roofing nail because you do not know what he verbally promised the clients.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 29, 2000).]

H

heidiho

Well I know this guy and I guaranty you that when he was selling the job, It was all him doing the job.(big ego)So I think I am covered from that point.As far as the back charges, I've been in touch with those people and although not positive think they will go by whose licsence number the job is under.Like you said without the written agreement.....( which will never happen again )Maybe there's enough going for me to get out of this mess.I may have a roofing nail to hang from before it is over.( that was pretty good, by the way ) Thank you for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">