• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Aspects Of Selling Ideas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maelyssa

I live in Pennsylvania & am wondering what legal aspects I need to be concerned w/when it comes to approaching established companies/businesses to 'sell' ideas to them as an independent party.
I have heard of this thing being done before but know no one who has actually done this.

Basically, I would like to be financially compensated for providing new product & marketing information/suggestions which are beneficial to both the business & the customers.

I do not know how to approach the companies, w/o first knowing my legal rights. I do not want to give them details of what I have to offer because who's to say that they won't just hear my idea & reject me yet end up using my ideas to their benefit anyway. I've heard of things like that happening.
So, where do I start to make sure that my ideas are 'my own' so to speak.

And the same goes for actually developing a product & then approaching a manufacturer.
How can I protect my own best interests when I present these companies my ideas/products???

Any advice would be helpful.

Melissa Davis

ALawyer

While you can try to get firms to sign an agreement promising confidentiality, most won't UNLESS you have a very established record and great credibility, and they know and trust you.

If your invention would qualify for patent protection, then see a patent ;awyer, start the process and then try to sell or license it. If the patent issues, you'd be protected. And the lawyer can advise you too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">