• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confutatis

Ohio Law question...

A continuing saga of a mother who can't get along with her 16-year-old son (been like that for years and years). Just recently, she informed her son that if he did not do well in his upcoming report card, she was going to force him into a 30-day rehab center for what she considers to be his drug problem.

Now I know this boy very well, and although he has and does occasional smoke Pot (something that can never be acceptable, of course), he is far from being a drug addict in need of such drastic measures. I know his problems at school are related to a lot of other problems which have nothing to do with drug abuse.

What kind of rights (if any) does this boy have against a mother who, in my opinion, has completely lost her mind to uneccesary paranoia and overreaction? Can she actually "force" him into a rehab center when the boy has no record at all (not in school or police records) of having a drug problem? And is there anything a person like myself (non-relative, non-blood relation) can do to help (yes, I realize I am sticking my nose in where it isn't supposed to belong)? I would hate to see this situation get so out of hand. I think it will be tragic for both the son and the mother.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

LegalBeagle

confutatis said:
Ohio Law question...

A continuing saga of a mother who can't get along with her 16-year-old son (been like that for years and years). Just recently, she informed her son that if he did not do well in his upcoming report card, she was going to force him into a 30-day rehab center for what she considers to be his drug problem.

Now I know this boy very well, and although he has and does occasional smoke Pot (something that can never be acceptable, of course), he is far from being a drug addict in need of such drastic measures. I know his problems at school are related to a lot of other problems which have nothing to do with drug abuse.

What kind of rights (if any) does this boy have against a mother who, in my opinion, has completely lost her mind to uneccesary paranoia and overreaction? Can she actually "force" him into a rehab center when the boy has no record at all (not in school or police records) of having a drug problem? And is there anything a person like myself (non-relative, non-blood relation) can do to help (yes, I realize I am sticking my nose in where it isn't supposed to belong)? I would hate to see this situation get so out of hand. I think it will be tragic for both the son and the mother.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Unless the mother is neglecting or abusing the child, there is nothing you can do.. and even if she was, all you can do is call CPS. If the child is doing badly in school and also doing drugs, then why question what she is doing? most parents would do nothing and then end up with a drugged out drop out on their hands.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">