• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chapter 11 & My Severance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

Out of a Job

My company recently announced the closing of my plant. They told us at that time that our severance package would be sent out soon. Now the company is filing Chapter 11. Is my severance protected?

ALawyer

While wages are protected, usually non-contractual severance is not.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

O

Out of a Job

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ALawyer:
While wages are protected, usually non-contractual severance is not.
While we do not have a contract, we do have past practices and the human resource policies to go with. We have used the current severance policy at our plant twice over the last 2 years so there is a precedent. Would this be enough to fight for our severance if it gets denied?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">