• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unmarried w/ child name changing and rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to know if changing the name on the birth certificate to the mothers surname will void the rights of the child in terms of child support and legal fatherhood.

I am asking this because i would also like to know the procedure for going about getting child support and or the legal responsibility of the father.

if you can point me to any specific sites that are devoted to this area it would be much appreciated.

thank you for your time sincerely

BgCpu12

PS. the law that would be relevent in this case is NY code

D

dorenephilpot

What the child is called has nothing to do with a father's responsibility to care for his offspring.

First step is to establish paternity in the father in court. It can be done one of several ways. If he contests it, a blood test can be done.

Once paternity is established, a support level and visitation schedule can be set up.

You can do all this yourself if you are a good researcher and prepared to spend a lot of time on it. Or you can hire an attorney who already knows the ropes.

Once you do your research online or at the library, feel free to come back with specific questions you might have.

Best of luck to you.

S

scumcoast

There is also some kind of agency in each state that will help with paternity and child support for a very small fee. In Florida is is the Department of Revenue and they charge $25.00. Changing the childs name has no effect on the other but the father can argue the name change once paperwork is filed and maybe have it stopped due to once he is listed as the father by filing for paternity or support he has the right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">