• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Partnership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cherrykhan

Texas Motel

Texas Motel
Dear lawyers,
I am a Canadian and writing these lines from Toronto. In 1997, I entered into a verbal agreement for partnership with one of my relative in Texas to engage in the Motel business. We decided;
(1) To make a 50/50 percentage share towards the down payment (the outstanding amount being a vendor take back mortgage) for the ownership, management and operation of the motel.
(2) For the first three years other party( my relative) was suppose to manage the business and take decided pay for his services.
(3) Each of the partners will take a fix amount of income every month. Further at the end of the year net profit will be divided as per share i.e.50/50.

As a result of this agreement I send him my 50% share of down payment to him via wire transfer through Bank. And very next day he bought the motel. He honored the agreement and kept on sending me monthly amount then he breached the contract and stopped the monthly payment.
Later on it revealed to me that at time of buying the motel he did not put his share in the down payment and he just bought the motel with my money only. Furthermore he did not Included my name in the ownership (title/ deed) of the said business which is purely fraud.
When I asked all these things to him, he refused to talk on this topic. When I insisted to give my property and profit for these years back he refuses to talk even. But he sent some money for which he did not tell the detail I believe it could be the profit of the said business. May be he thinks that I do not have any proof of the partnership but I have
1- Proof of money transfer through the bank.
2- Audio recording of the confession of his wife that her husband did not put any money in the business and he purchased the business with my money only.
3- The amount which I transferred as my share for the down payment he paid only that money as a total down payment ( I have the copy of the cashier cheque issued to the title company).
4- I have the copy of the title/ deed showing that he just used my money for the down payment.
Please guide me what should I do in such circumstances. I have tried to contact to various people to mediate, but he does not want to give my property back. Could you be kind enough to let me know what kind of actions I can take, how much it will cost me and how long it will take?
Anxiously waiting for your reply.
Thanking you in anticipation.

cherry khan
[email protected]

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">