• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Common Law Marriage in New York

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dorothy Huhn

My sister has been living in a common law marriage in New York for over twenty-five years and now that they are getting older it's time to find out if common law marriages are legal in New York State. If so, what are the benefits a woman is entitled to if and when her life partner should die? Especially if he is still married to his wife!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Dorothy Huhn said:
My sister has been living in a common law marriage in New York for over twenty-five years and now that they are getting older it's time to find out if common law marriages are legal in New York State. If so, what are the benefits a woman is entitled to if and when her life partner should die? Especially if he is still married to his wife!

My response:

New York is not, and never has been, a "common law" marriage State. Your sister has merely been "shacking up" with this man for 25 years. That's it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">