• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Percentage for idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sprowtr

My friend suggested an idea for a business. I did the research and put up the money for the business. Now my friend wants to know if she can get a percentage for her idea. I wish to remain friends with her, but I don't know how much an idea is worth. What would be fair?

ALawyer

There is no rule of thumb as it all depends on the idea, and the effort and money you put in to turn an idea into a business or product and how profitable it would be.

For example, if you had an idea for a space shuttle it would take billions to implement, and unlikely to be profitable. What was the idea worth? But if it was an idea a new computer networking structure, and you spent a day to refine it and turn it into business plan, and the next day brought it to a Venture Capital firm who invested millions, that's something else.

------------------
To retain a lawyer, I suggest you go to http://AttorneyPages.com which is endorsed by the Association of Trial Lawyers of America. This response is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. As you are not my client I have no obligation of any kind to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">