• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Special Education Programs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dittoalert

i find myself being pulled into an argument that is not wanted or was ever indicated. i simply asked an organization that is invovled with schools in iowa that my son no longer participate in any testing or special services provided by them. reason being that during his last hearing test provided by this organization in school, the audiologist ignored the outcome of his test, assumed he was horsing around, went to the point of explaining to him if his test results were really what was indicated the he would be considered partially deaf, then informed his teacher of his uncooperativeness, which lead to repromand. well 3 yrs later my son in preparing for his first of many surgeries to try to repair his ear and try to restore some of his hearing. the diseased ear is one that has no pain or any other outward sighns of etiology except for hearing loss. and with his ear in the condition that it is in it is obvious it has been going on for years. this organization however will not let it go. they are insistant that he participate in speech. i say no, they insinuate that i am denying him a proper start in life. hello......it is partially their responsibility he is the way he is, not to mention their obvious praise that they have the ability to teach the deaf the speak approriately. i just want them to back away. any ideas?

D

dorenephilpot

Sounds like they were wrong to begin with, which might have harmed your son's education.

But I'm not sure I follow the rationale that you are not wanting to participate in the services now being offered.

Usually parents are fighting to get the schools to offer services to their kids, not fighting because the school is offering too much.

The fact that the school flubbed up years ago doesn't explain why you wouldn't send him to speech therapy now, unless your question left out some information.

Will he benefit from it? If so, I would do it without hesitation.

However, as a parent, you have a right to say no to any services being offered. I'm not sure why you'd want to in your case, but that is your right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">