• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hotel used my Credit card illegally??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mad

My sister and I went to a hotel/spa for a weekend getaway. We found that our room had been entered (the door was ajar) after we returned from dinner. We were frighten, packed our bags, and left within 10 hours of arriving. Upon checking out, the desk clerk printed out a receipt showing a $0 balance, signed it and said that we would not be charged for anything. I have now been charged twice by the hotel for services which we received while we were there. The hotel is now claiming that we left the door open on purpose to scam them out of a dinner and massage. This is the most ridiculous and insulting acusation that I have ever heard. They claim that we can not prove the room was broken into although their own grounds keeper claims he saw the door ajar.
What can I do? I have denied the charges on my credit card but I don't think the hotel is aware of this yet. I have a feeling they are not going to let this go (judging by the attitude and demeanor of the Bus. Manager who hung up on me). They claim the desk clerk did not have the authorization to waive the charges. Is this true? Can I sue the Bus. Manager for the horrible things he said to me and accused me of?

Please help!!! I don't know how to handel this!

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

With your credit card company, did you send them the copy of the contract receipt stating 0 balance? If so, hotel cannot do anything and cannot charge you.

Write to them and tell them you have reported them to the better business bureau (do report them!) and that you will charge the hotel and them individually with intentional infliction of emotional distress, deceptive billing practices and fraud.

M

mad

Thanks for the info... even though my credit card company will support me on this and has removed the charges, can the hotel sue me for the money? Even if I was given a receipt, signed by an employee, showing $0? Hotel is claiming that employee did not have the authority to make this kind of transaction because there was no proof that the room was broken into. I plan on writing a letter to them threatening legal action but I fear they may actually sue me for the money. It's not a lot of money but it is on the principal of them not honoring their words and then accusing me of being the criminal. Thanks again!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lawrat:
I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

With your credit card company, did you send them the copy of the contract receipt stating 0 balance? If so, hotel cannot do anything and cannot charge you.

Write to them and tell them you have reported them to the better business bureau (do report them!) and that you will charge the hotel and them individually with intentional infliction of emotional distress, deceptive billing practices and fraud.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">