• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Courtney

I have recently tried to get cable tv through our local cable company. They informed me that they have a new policy, that they have to get my social security number before they will turn my cable on. I asked them why, and they said to "track our customers". I don't feel comfortable giving my social security number to the cable company. Is these even legal for them to ask for my SS#????

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Absolutely not.....they CANNOT ask for your social security number and have no right to that information. You CAN refuse to give it to them.

Tell them you will report them to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and Federal Trade Commission (FTC) for fraud, possible invasion of privacy, deceptive billing practiced and possible refusal to give service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">