• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Community propert

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dittoalert

i live in iowa, and in the process of receiving a settlement form a previous employer from a civil rights action. is this considered community property? do i have to inform my husband on the amount and the terms of the settlement? also can i hide this money from him and not let him have any claim to it? he has issues with spending. i want to keep it and open up funds for my children. if i do this is he entitled to withdraw from their accounts because he is the father?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Community property

Dittoalert said:
i live in iowa, and in the process of receiving a settlement form a previous employer from a civil rights action. is this considered community property? do i have to inform my husband on the amount and the terms of the settlement? also can i hide this money from him and not let him have any claim to it? he has issues with spending. i want to keep it and open up funds for my children. if i do this is he entitled to withdraw from their accounts because he is the father?
My response:

Iowa is NOT a Community Property State - - it is "separate property" State. So, you don't have to share anything with your husband. It is, and will always be, your money, and yours alone. See an investment counselor for the safety and security of your money - - where only you can get your hands on it.

IAAL

D

Dittoalert

thanks for the information. any idea on what the calculation is to figure damages in a employment case. the civil rights commisson mediator instructed me to present this on the day of our mediation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">