• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused in ny

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lajones86

my brother has a question regarding a 6 year relationship that has now ended. she left and left all of her belongings in his home, which he is try very hard to sell, and he has asked her several times to remove her things but she still has not done it and it has been 2 1/2 months since she left. what can he do to get her things out of his home? no one wants the home with her stuff strewn all around in both garages and another adjacent room.

T

Toniree

Have him send certified letters requesting she pick up her stuff. If she doesn't respond, then have him send another certified letter stating the date and time he will drop her stuff off at her house. This will protect him in small claims court. He can then take her stuff to her home and put it on her lawn with no legal recourse. But he must keep all documentation showing that he had made numerous attempts to have her pick up her property to no avail. He is not responsible for holding her stuff exspecially if it is hindering him from selling his home.

L

lajones86

confused in NY-II

Toniree,
Thanks for your quick reply to my question. I do have one more question for you. I need to know how long does he have to wait for her to respond to the letter? Does he need to put a time limit in the letter?

Thanks Again!
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">