• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repairs after a car is sold - Private Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cops46

I recentely sold a sports car for $3,000.00. I gave a list of needed repairs to the buyer, plus all extra parts that I had. A week later, he stopped by my house and told me the transmission was slipping, and he would be putting the car in the shop, and for three thousand dollars, he should not have to pay for repairs, meaning he expects me to pay! I did not specify any type of warranty, the trans was fine when I sold it, and I do not know how he has driven the car in the week that he's had it. Am I liable for repairs?
Bill C.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You were correct in disclosing all problems. But unless you gave him a written warranty on the car, he bought the car AS IS. This means, he takes the risk of stuff happening to the car and HE is responsible for all such additional repairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">