• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

emotional harassment in athletics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mt101

:confused: My daughter is being discriminated against by her high school lacrosse coach for unknown reasons. The pattern with this coach is to select girls in the 9th grade which she then "mentors" (favors) throughout their high school careers. My daughter is not one of the chosen. Even though she is highly skilled (plays on an elite club team) and has a good attitude and work ethic (as attested to by other coaches and teachers), she is given virtually no support, encouragement or playing time by this coach. We have been told our daughter has college recruitment potential but she will not be considered without high school playing time. The coach was fired two years ago but reinstated. We have a meeting coming up with the athletic director and principal, both of whom are aware of past problems and were involved with the firing and reinstatement. What rights do we have as parents and how do we approach this problem. (Daughter dares not approach the coach == the "non-chosen" girls are scared to death of her.)

D

dorenephilpot

Are you asking if you have some legal recourse to make your daughter one of the "favorites"?

I think common sense would be able to give you an answer to that.

Sometimes life isn't fair. Sometimes people's skills and talents are overlooked.

Now, if she were beating your daughter at practices or taking advantage of her sexually, you might have a cause of action. But failure to pick her as one of the "favorites" is not something you can sue over.

If your daughter is everything you say she is, she will go on with her life and do well, whether she is a favorite of this coach or not.

Every unfairness in life is not litigatable.

D

dst

Agree/disagree

I agree with the above response. Your student is unlikely to get more playing time with this coach. However, teachers/coaches have a responsibility to act ethically. The school could fire her for ethical violations if they felt she was not operating in the best interests of the school. However, they are unlikely to do that (especially if she has your states equalivent of tenure) unless the violations are serious.

Word to the Wise...in a dispute with a teacher the first thing you should find out is if he or she has tenure (generally, three years of less of service.) Teachers without tenure are more easily pressured.

DT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">