• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

professional liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Louie

In what circumstances can professional people such as accountants be held liable for negligent financial advice or information. What is the standard of care required expected of them?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Louie:
In what circumstances can professional people such as accountants be held liable for negligent financial advice or information. What is the standard of care required expected of them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Without a State name, it would be difficult to assist you. Laws are different everywhere.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

O

oldcpa

First, you need to determine what professional credentials that the advisor has - this may effect your remedies.

If the advisor is a CPA, you can contact the state board of accountancy in your state to find out what the laws are in your state for licensing.

In general, you will have to prove that you relied on the advice that you were given and that you were damaged by relying on it. You will also have to prove that you gave accurate descriptions of your facts and circumstances -- and that no material changes occurred between the time you requested the advice and relied on the advice.

Do you have anything in writing regarding the advice? Did you follow ALL of the steps given by the advisor? What was the time interval between the advice and the event?

It is often difficult to prove a malpractice case unless you can substantiate what you told the advisor, what he told you and how following the advice damaged you.

My post is a general comment regarding your question. Since I am a CPA, I thought my comments might be of interest to you. Please consult an attorney to determine the appropriate legal action that you should take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">