• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Poor quality workmanship - Collections Notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cptn_zippy

I live in the state of Colorado. This past summer I made contracted to have my house painted. To make a long story short, the workmanship was of poor quality, even after the second visit by the painters to correct the problems. They got paint overspray all over the roof (my main beef). When they wanted the final payment, I sent them the full amount less 10% for damage to the roof and grounds. This was months ago, but today I got a notice from a collection agency in the mail for the remaining 10 percent I didn't pay(~$160). What should I do? Should I send the money and forget about it? Do I send the money now and try to recover damage to the roof in small claims court? I know I can't ignore the collections notice. I'm really irritated with these people and need to know what to do next. Thanks in advance!

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cptn_zippy:
I live in the state of Colorado. This past summer I made contracted to have my house painted. To make a long story short, the workmanship was of poor quality, even after the second visit by the painters to correct the problems. They got paint overspray all over the roof (my main beef). When they wanted the final payment, I sent them the full amount less 10% for damage to the roof and grounds. This was months ago, but today I got a notice from a collection agency in the mail for the remaining 10 percent I didn't pay(~$160). What should I do? Should I send the money and forget about it? Do I send the money now and try to recover damage to the roof in small claims court? I know I can't ignore the collections notice. I'm really irritated with these people and need to know what to do next. Thanks in advance!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Send a certified letter to the painter telling him that the deduction of that amount was fair in light of the poor workmanship etc. and to contact you to resolve this matter. You are not obligated by law to talk to the collection agency. Contact the Contractor's License Board if you need to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">