• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adult son and wife living with father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CarolToney

california. my adult brother and wife live with my dad, they do not pay rent. they do help with the food. they are both on disability. when my dad dies he leaves his home to his four children equaly. will there be any problems getting my brother to move out? can you make someone leave their house if they don't have anywhere to go? what should my dad do at this time to make it easier for all when he dies? thank you.

K

Kelly143

You should probably post this in wills and probate. MY suggestion would be for your father to put in the will EXACTLY what is to happen with the house ie. sell it immediately upon his death and split the proceeds equally between the children. This way, there would be no way for your brother and his wife to live there. My father and law and his wife are in disability, and they make it just fine living on their own. Dont automatically assume they have no place to go, it may just be that they choose not to live elsewhere. I'm not saying that your brother and his wife don't WANT to be self-sufficient, only that it is possible. I don't know the situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">