• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intellectual Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brand911

I work in the public sector (law enforcement -New York State) and I am currently entering a specialized field at my current job. I would, at some point in the future, be able to use the training and experience from this field in private employment or business. Can I copyright a slogan for this field while I'm in service to my current employer, and retain the copyright privately later in my personal career? Thank You

[This message has been edited by Brand911 (edited November 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Brand911 (edited November 08, 2000).]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. WHat I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Depends. Would this copyrighted slogan be under your job's regular scope of work? Would it created on company time? On company computer? With company's materials (copyrighted already?).

Can you create a contract with your boss to allow you to keep this copyright for yourself? Or to at least stipulate slogans are not theirs?

You need to give us a little more detail to help us identify your rights.

B

Brand911

Lawrat -

Thanks so much for you reply, in answer to your questions:

The slogan would be used in a specialized area, which IS an area under my regular scope of duties.

Not created with any company resources. Created at home with future private employment in mind.

Cannot enter into any separate contract with my employer, it is a public government office (Sheriff).

Thanks Again [email protected]

I am a law school graduate. WHat I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Depends. Would this copyrighted slogan be under your job's regular scope of work? Would it created on company time? On company computer? With company's materials (copyrighted already?).

Can you create a contract with your boss to allow you to keep this copyright for yourself? Or to at least stipulate slogans are not theirs?

You need to give us a little more detail to help us identify your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">