• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court Fines?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chief221

What can I do If I cant pay my Court costs or any impossing fines related to my charges on my court date? will I be allowed to make a later payment? Also How long can a *pending* felony drug charge be held over my head untill I can feel somewhat safe that I will not be charged with It? Just for your info...I'am In the State of North Carolina

[This message has been edited by Chief221 (edited October 12, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Chief221 (edited October 12, 1999).]

R

Roger M

A "charge" like from an open investigation, usually can be held over your head until the statute of limitations runs, and that can be years. If you were indited or charged, then there may be a speedy trial law in your state (I'm not from NC) that gives you the right to make the prosecutor go forward within from 30 - 180 days or you walk.

If you can't pay the fine, the court will get ticked. Bring proof. And ask the legal aid of public defender or other lawyer representing you. He knows the local practice and prosecutors and judges and can tell you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">