• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signature on tickets???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jkirk001

I was recently pulled over for an expired tag. Well my insurance had also lapsed and I was taken to jail because of a suspended license. The officer wrote me three tickets but I did not sign any of them. He never told me what I was being arrested for and I was never read my rights. Is there something I can do in this situation?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..jeremy kirk

H

Henry J

Get a lawyer to help you get out of jail and hold down the fines. You did not have to "sign" the tickets for them to be effective -- in states where they ask you to sign them it's only partial proof that you were ticketed and told to appear.

The officer did not have to read you your rights (he should have though, and will probably say he did if asked) but if he didn't then anything you said after being arrested can not be used against you (and it sounds as if they won't have to -- the case looks open and shut).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">