• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I don't know if you can help me, but if there is any way PLEASE DO!!!!My son is awaiting trial for assualt and battery. He shot a man while trying to defend himself. The other man pulled a knife on him while another was holding him.The man he shot is not going to testify against him, but my son told the dectives what had happened and the state is using his confession against him. My son is the father of three and the stepfather of two. We cannot afford an attorney.I do not want my Grand children growing up without their Daddy. What can we do? Without an attorney he will be sent away for a very long time. Can anyone there help us? PLEASE!!!
A very Worred Moma

D

DefenseMan

Under the US Constitution he is ENTITLED to have an attorney appointed to help in his defense, at no cost, if he can't afford one. It may be a public defender, or legal aid, or a private lawyer paid by the state. It won't be the "dream team" with Johnnie Cochran, but only OJ could have afforded that. If your son is forthright with the lawyer, cooperative, clear and has a good record, that will help. A plea bargain is the most usual reslut.

Self defense is a defense, if all he did was defend himself in a reasonable manner, assuming the jury would believe him. If, however, he was already in jail on another crime, has a lousy record, etc. most juries wouldn't believe him, and in fact only a parent might.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">