• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft by unlawful taking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tmcgee

boyfriend charged w/ theft by unlawful taking ($220.) by me and the police won't let me drop charges even though returned. What if anything can I do to get him out of this or get the charges reduced to nearly nothing with out getting myself in serious trouble.

I

Izzy

This is tricky as there must be some reason they won't let you drop charges. Ask his defense lawyer to tell you why the prosectuor insists on going forward, or better yet, pay for a brief consult with a lawyer of your own. But are you sure you are not being abused in an OJ Simpson sense?

The state that the offense occured in presses charges against him. This is why when you watch the Practice or other shows they say "The state of ... against "the defendant" ".Usually when the victim (you) insists that they don't want to press charges, it shows the D.A. (or city attorney) that they have a weak case and they may be inclined to reduce the charge to one that is not so serious.

You should consult a competent attorney who practices criminal law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">